Getting Your Collection Ready for the Centennial Anniversaries of the 19th Amendment
The centennial anniversaries of the passage and ratification of the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution are coming up. The authors are recipients of the 2018 American Library Association Carnegie Whitney Grant to create a centennial anniversary bibliography of currently available materials on women's suffrage for the general reader. This article highlights some resources and solicits suggestions for the complete bibliography.
Blight, D. W. (2018). Frederick Douglass: Prophet of freedom. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
Boyd, M. J. (1994). Discarded legacy: Politics and poetics in the life of Frances E.W. Harper, 1825-1911. Detroit, MI: Wayne State University Press.
Buhle, P. (Ed.), & Buhle, M. J. (Ed.). (2005). The concise history of woman suffrage: Selections from history of woman suffrage, by Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, Matilda Joslyn Gage, and the National American Woman Suffrage Association. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
Burns, K. (Director), Barnes, P. (Producer), Ward, G. C. (Writer), & Kellerman S. (Narrator). (1999). Not for ourselves alone: The story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony [Visual Material]. Alexandria, VA: PBS Home Video.
Cole, A., Alexander, K., Hart, L. & Huguley, P. (2016). Daughters of a Nation: A Black suffragette historical romance anthology. New York, NY: Maroon Ash.
Edwards, K. (2011). The lake of dreams. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
Encyclopaedia Britannica (2018). History of woman suffrage. Retrieved from https://www.britannica.com/topic/History-of-Woman-Suffrage
Flexner, E. (1996). Century of struggle: The woman's rights movement in the United States (3rd ed.). Cambridge, MA: Belknap.
Giddings, P. (2008). Ida: A sword among lions: Ida B. Wells and the campaign against lynching. New York, NY: Amistad.
Goldstein, J. (Artist). (2018). Nasty women - Piano music in the age of women's suffrage [Sound Recording]. United States: Centaur.
Griffith, E. (1984). In her own right: The life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Kerr, A. M. (1992). Lucy Stone: Speaking out for equality. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
Kidd, S. M. (2014). The invention of wings.
New York, NY: Viking.
Lasser, C. (1987). Century of struggle, decades of revision: A retrospective on Eleanor Flexner's suffrage history. Reviews in American History, 15(2), 344.
Painter, N. I. (1996). Sojourner Truth: A life, a symbol. New York, NY: W. W. Norton.
Pollak, R. (Director). (2005). One woman, one vote [Visual Material]. United States: PBS Home Video.
Stanton, E. C. (2015). Eighty years and more: Reminiscences 1815-1897 [reprint]. Charleston, SC: Printed by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
Szalai, J. (2017, March 5). Casting a literary lens on women and power. The New York Times, C6.
Terborg-Penn, R. (1998). African American women in the struggle for the vote, 1850-1920. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
Wagner, S. R. (2019). The women's suffrage movement. New York, NY: Penguin Classics.
WYNC Studios. (2018, September 17). 19th Amendment [Recorded by D. Parton]. On 27: The most perfect album [Medium of recording: album]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASx-s0fPzK4&index=27&list=PLkvdLHXNvdANpgqnkTIKLYt-Rp7ihOHd8
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/21/2020. Revision Description: Updated to APA 7th style.